Topic: Canary - a Free Natural Language Processing Platform for Researchers and Clinicians Speaker: Alexander Turchin, MD, MS A large fraction of information in electronic medical records is “locked” in narrative documents, such
Topic: Canary – a Free Natural Language Processing Platform for Researchers and Clinicians
Speaker: Alexander Turchin, MD, MS
A large fraction of information in electronic medical records is “locked” in narrative documents, such as provider notes, radiology reports, etc. Natural language processing technology can be used to extract information from narrative documents. However, it remains underutilized, because in many cases natural language processing solutions require advanced computer science expertise and/or expensive commercial software.
Canary is a free, open-source solution designed to solve this problem. It is a GUI-based platform that allows clinicians, researchers and analysts without computer science or software engineering background to develop their own natural language processing solutions. Canary has been downloaded in dozens of institutions around the world and has been successfully used in a number of projects. Dr. Turchin will describe Canary and illustrate how it can be used to obtain information from narrative documents you always wanted, but could not reach.
BEI Knowledge Center – Directions from 15 Francis Street:
1. Enter BWH at 15 Francis Street.
2. Walk towards the left of the lobby, between the “B” Elevator and the information desk to find a staircase.
3. Take the stairs down one level.
4. After exiting the staircase, walk ahead to the main hallway, and take a right.
5. You will now be walking in the “lower pike”
6. Walk ahead passing a few hallways until you reach a sign for “Office Services” “Mail Room” “AV” and “Medical Library”
7. Take a right to enter the Office Services/AV, Mail Room, Medical Library hallway.
8. The BEI Knowledge Center will be the last door on your left.
9. Press the handicap/wheelchair button and the door will open.
(Monday) 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
BEI Knowledge Center
45 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115